March 29, 2013

6 Reasons Why I'll Buy a Book

Fact: I don't like coffee. I just like saying Coffee Clutch in my best and deepest New York accent. Considering I'm a New Yorker, I'm pretty freaking good at it. So I've got my tea and I hope you have your heated beverage of choice, because it's time to gab the day away.

I, like all of you, compulsively buy books. That's pretty much what we're all here for, right? But this week I want to talk about what makes you (me?) pick up one book or another. Sure, there's a lot of advising that comes in the form of Goodreads and ratings, but even with all that, you're still the one who has to either pay up or walk away when it comes to buying a book.

So here are my 6 Reasons Why I'll Buy a Book:

1. My friends are RAVING
This probably falls under the Goodreads advising category, but it's totally worth noting. It's like when someone wants to set you up on a blind date. If it's someone you're just acquaintances with, you might be like: Uhmmmm NO. But if it's your best pal who's known you since you were in diapers, you'll probably be like: How soon can I meet the hunk? The same goes for books. If my bookish soul mate is all: YOU WILL LOVE, chances are, I will love. But if it's someone who doesn't know me so well and is just pushing what they love, not what they think I'll really love, then maybe not.

This is for YOU WILL LOVE moments, not any other.
2. Buzzwords
EVERYONE has buzzwords. For some people it's a specific place. For other's it's a time period or a natural disaster or MAGIC. But we all have them. I won't get into what mine are now, since this is the Top Ten Tuesday topic in a couple of weeks, but I will tell you right now: if New York City is mentioned in any capacity, I'll probably pick up said book, no matter what anyone else is saying.


3. Cover Love
Y'know those stunning covers you DROOL over? Well, yeah. I do. Sometimes I'll be not so sure about a book but the cover will keep me coming back for more. Occasionally, if a book has a REALLY GOOD cover, I won't be able to stop thinking about it and, even though I was at the store just the day before, I'll have to go back and get it before my head explodes.


4. Reading the first page
This, like all other tactics, can be faulty. I read the first page of Seraphina in the store and I dismissed it because I had no idea what was happening. Eventually I went back to it because of reasons number 1 and 2, but I was never quite sure until I plowed past that prologue and got to the good stuff. And MAN is it good. But sometimes reading the first page really does help me decide whether to buy a book or not. It lets me get a feel for the authors writing style and the pacing of the books - both of which are very important factors in my reading experience.


5. Trusting my gut
Sometimes I'll buy a book on impulse. Actually, I'm pretty indecisive on the whole, but every now and again I'll just buy something because my insides tell me to. I can't say I'm always right, but more often than not, I am. I think my most successful gut purchase was the first Maroon 5 CD - Songs About Jane. I was in Tower Records (I know, I know) and I had those giant headphones on and I was sampling something other than "Harder to Breathe" (which the radio would NOT stop playing) and I just wasn't sure. But then I was like, SCREW THIS I WANT IT. Needless to say my insides can sometimes be genius. Although I can't tell you what my last impulse book buy was. I've been doing a lot of borrowing, recommendation taking and Goodreads background checking recently. So there's that.

This gif works for reasons 5 and 6. Take note.
6. Borrow First, Buy Later
If I'm not sure about a book for whatever reason, a lot of the time I'll take it out of the library or borrow from a friend first. IF I love it, I'll scurry out to the bookstore and snatch it up. When will I re-read? I don't know. But I need it. I NEED IT. So I'll buy it and keep it on my shelf for pushing on people or perusing or petting. Y'know, the 3 P's. Natch.

Okay. That's enough from me. Time for you guys to chime in. What makes YOU pick up a book? I could always use some new, crazy methods, so do leave me some advising in the comments below.

28 comments:

  1. The majority of my books are the result of my having read reviews from my favourite bloggers on it and me thinking, "I NEED." I also use the library a lot, and if I absolutely loved a book, I'll buy my own copy. And... that's about it really. I've been a student for the last few years, and unemployed for quite a while, so I don't have much spare cash, which means that I'm careful about what I buy, and I pretty much never impulse buy. I'm kind of unexciting :-P
    I really wish more of my non-blogging friends were readers, because then I could borrow books from them. But sadly, when books get loaned, it's usually from me to them, because I'm the one with the home library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks that you don't have more reading friends. >.<

      BUT I'm glad you have the library to supplement your own personal library. I <3 the library. ^_^

      Delete
  2. I did a blog post on this just a week ago! I didn't think about "buzz words", but I think you're right that that plays a role a lot of times. And I NEVER read the first page of the book prior to it, which is funny since that's one of the best ways to actually get a sense of the author's writing.

    For me it usually comes down to book covers (including the summary on the back), recommendations, and genre. Or at least those are the ones I notice myself paying attention to the most these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm genre. I hear genre, but at the same time I think covers and summaries goes further than genre. Like, okay, I've been known to kind of skip over the paranormal section at BN, but at the same time, if I see a good cover, I'll stop. Then again, if I see a really awful cover, I'll laugh and move just a bit faster to get to the fantasy section.

      But recommendations really is a big one, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. True, when I was thinking genre I meant more like if a book is part of the romance genre, I probably won't read it. But, I usually figure that out through the cover because the YA books are usually are shelved together without stating which genre they are. So you have a point!

      And yes, recommendations are huge. Sometimes I don't want to read a book everyone else is reading because I feel like other books need attention, but I have a hard time fighting the desire to know what everyone else is talking about!

      Delete
    3. That is so what happened to me with Shatter Me. I wasn't going to read it when I read it but EVERYONE WAS TALKING and I HAD TO KNOW so I pushed everything else to the side and picked it up. It was a hard choice, but it needed to be done. And everyone was right, so that helped, right??

      Delete
  3. Honestly, if I go into a bookstore just to browse, PRICE has a lot to do with it. If I go for a specific book, then I'll buy that one, but I tend to actually buy books that are on clearance/sale more than regular-priced books, for a couple of reasons. Mainly, in my head I think, "I could buy ONE book for 20 dollars. . . or I could buy THREE of these sale books that I've heard of before and have been wanting to read anyway. . .".

    I also tend to use the library as a book screening process. If I absolutely LOVE a library book, I'll go and buy it myself. Just one of the multitude of reasons that I love libraries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Price is why I'll TOTALLY buy a paperback over a hardcover. Which stresses me out when the second book comes out and I WANT IT but it's only in hardcover but the first one that I have is softcover. First world problems?? That being said, while I definitely hear you on the on-sale thing, I try to live my life on the philosophy: "Just because it's on sale, doesn't automatically mean you have to have it." Like, when the Gap send me coupons, I don't just buy stuff because I have a coupon. I buy something because I actually want/need it. So if the one book I REALLY WANT is 20 dollars and it means I can't buy another book too, then so be it, y'know? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

      But yes. LIBRARIES. I love the libraries ^_^

      Delete
  4. If I'm browsing in a bookstore it's the covers and buzz words that get my attention. Now that I think about it, it's no difference online ;). I scan the covers and titles and make a selection that way. Luckily I love reading blogs so much, because I would have missed out on some amazing books if I kept on picking my books like this. The synopsis has to sound good, but if everyone is raving about it I'll pick a book up sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have a harder time GETTING A FEEL for a book when browsing online. It's also harder to browse in general, I feel. But it is nice to be able to look at pretty books in my pajamas on the couch.

      Thanks for stopping by Helene!!!

      Delete
  5. Basically, almost everything about this post is true of me too. Lately, I think your last number has been the way I've gone though. I've been borrowing books like crazy, and finding I love them and JUST NEED TO BUY THEM, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES BORROWING BOOKS AND BUYING THEM.

      PS: when I get home we're going on an EPIC bookstore trip. ^_^

      Delete
  6. Agreed, a LOT of times I DO trust my instincts - like I did with SEND ME A SIGN, TIME BETWEEN US, BEFORE I FALL, TEMPEST, HEMLOCK, etc. It doesn't lead me wrong that often (but when it does, oh man, those have been some epic literary disasters.) But generally if I get that belly rumbling saying "read this one!" it turns out to be one of those books I fall in love with.

    Road trips are my buzz word. Road trips, or set overseas like in Ireland, Scotland, or Britain. Yep!

    I also trust friend's recs, if they KNOW me and what I like, and they tell me I'm going to love something, I'll give it a try.

    Great topic, Gaby!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molli!! I think I trusted my instincts with Before I Fall as well. But I think I took it out of the library first? But I totally do get that belly rumbling!! (love you how put it!) Also, I totally feel your buzzwords. They work for me also (I have a lot of buzzwords...) ^_^

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, overs are a huge one for me, and buzz words. I read the first page as well, but - and this makes me a horrible reader, I know - I read the last page, too. I'll also pick up a book if it's by an author I love, or in a genre I particularly like. If I'm online, a book goes on my to buy list if it's recced by bloggers I know I share similar tastes with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always read the last sentence - sometimes the last page, so don't worry about it!!

      Thanks for stopping by!! ^_^

      Delete
  8. I think all of these apply to me! The majority of books that I now buy are ones that everybody has been going crazy for, whether pre-release or after publication. My habits have changed a lot since I've started blogging and I'm planning on writing a post about this soon.
    Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I can't wait to read all about it!!!

      Thanks for stopping by Lucy! ^_^

      Delete
  9. Oo, I like your last point about buying a copy to push on people XD I resist buying copies of books I've read from the library no matter how much I loved it (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) because that money could buy new to me books instead! However I have repeatedly found myself wanting to lend DoSB to other people so a copy would be useful.... I did buy a copy for my bookish friend's birthday so that he and his girlfriend could both read it, so that's kind of the same :D

    Anya @ On Starships and Dragonwings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saving money to spend on other is a GOOD POINT. But sometimes you can't help yourself, right? ^_^

      Delete
  10. I am so guilty of many of these, particularly #6! And I love when an impulse/gut purchase works out. Sometimes you just KNOW :)

    I'm also a sucker for buzzwords and am really looking forward to writing my Top Ten post on that topic soon!

    Christine @Buckling Bookshelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? That's gonna be a fun TTT!! I can't wait to read everyone's posts! ^_^

      Delete
  11. This is such a lame excuse, but I've been worse about buying books as I've gotten older. When I was younger, it was no big deal to buy a book. But... then bills and grown up stuff started happening and spending $15-20 on a book suddenly wasn't going to happen. Like ever. I utilize all the freebie outlets for books - libraries, borrowing, ARCs, etc. - and then make my decision about buying the books after that. I mostly buy books that I absolutely cannot live without and want on my bookshelf so I can look at them all the time.

    I also make it a rule to avoid book stores (w/ the exception of used book stores) because if I'm not careful at them, I'll end up spending my entire paycheck on books! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up and pay checks really are the worst >.<

      But I will say used book stores are GREAT outlets!! And so are libraries, to be sure.

      Delete
  12. I don't think I've ever really considered what my buzzwords are. I know that I snap up a lot of books by British authors even if I don't know all that much about the books themselves..

    A lot of books are bought because other bloggers/friends are all 'OMG! This book!' about it. Or it has an insanely pretty cover. I'm a sucker for that. But I'm so moody about books. I'll pass over certain books a million times and then ALL OF A SUDDEN I'm in the mood for something really specific and it'll be the one book I had the opportunity to buy ten zillion times before and never did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely hear being moody. It's not usually what happens to me since I mostly NEED or don't need (or sometimes I'll skip it and it'll be on my brain for days and I'll have to go back for it), but it's okay to be fickle!

      Delete
  13. Hi, This is a good post, indeed a great job. You must have done good research for the work, i appreciate your efforts.. Looking for more updates from your side. Thanks
    Digital EBook Bundle

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!